We have the pleasure to inform you that World Youth Foundation (“an NGO in Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations”),will be hosting the International Workshop on Climate Change “Youth Action on Climate Change” tentatively scheduled to be held on 21st – 24thMay 2015 at Melaka, Malaysia in collaboration with the Ministry of Youth and Sports Malaysia, Malaysian National Commission for UNESCO, United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), Pembangunan Pertanian Melaka Sdn Bhd and various other agencies.
The International Workshop on Climate Change “Youth Action on Climate Change”will provide an opportunity for young people to discuss, understand, share, find solutions and develop strategies on issues pertaining to youth and climate change that can be implemented at country level.
Having taken into account the seventh Millennium Development Goal which is to ensure environmental sustainability and the outcome document for Rio+20 entitled “The Future We Want”, and the recently released UNSG Synthesis Report on Post 2015, the World Youth Foundation desires to enhance participation of youth through strengthening their voices,perspectives and contributions into this matter.
The four-day International Workshop will operate primarily in an interactive mode. During the four days, key issues relating to Climate Change will be presented by local and foreign speakers in the form of interactive lectures, case studies, video documentaries, skills sharing workshops, utilizing multi-media and informal discussions through active participation among participants. All selected participants are required to submit time-based Voluntary Pledges before the event. On the last day of the International Workshop participants will formulate a Youth Action Plan
The objectives of this InternationalWorkshop are:
- To promote awareness and empower young people in advocating and initiating climate change adaptation and mitigation actions in their respective communities;
- To build the capacity of young people in matters of environmental awareness and conservation focusing on issues related to Climate Change;
- To provide young people with a workshop for exchange of ideas and experience thus enhancing inter-country cooperation;
- To facilitate youth participation in national, regional and international environmental efforts fora whenever possible;
- To encourage young people’s involvement in International environmental processes such as the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), the United Nations Convention on the Biological Diversity;
- To raise the visibility of environmental conservation through environmental awareness campaigns using media.
- To facilitate an inclusive platform for effective partnerships with youth, youth-led organizations, youth organizations, youth ministries and relevant stakeholders to further strengthen inclusive youth participation in the decision-making processes and implementation of the post-2015 development agenda.
Suggested Topics (subject to further confirmation):
- Youth migration as a result of climate change / Climate-induced Migration
- Climate Change: Trends and Projections (Scientific Evidence):
- Assessing Impacts In Divergent Ecosystems:
- Human Impacts and Impacts on Humans:
- Technical,Political And Social Responses to Climate Change:
- Water and Climate Change: An Integrated Approach to Address Adaptation
- Food Security Dilemma & Environmentally Induced Conflict Issues
- Youth Participation in Environmental Change: Empowerment in Decision-making &Youth Organizations
- Barriers to Youth Engagement in Combating Climate Change
- Gender & Climate Change
- Modern Bioenergy Technologies: Solving the Conflicting Challenges of Climate Change and Development
- Youth migration as a result of climate change
- Youth and Beyond 2015 Process
- Youth Empowerment in Decision-making & Youth-Led Organizations
- Young people between the ages of 18 – 25 (however some flexibility will be exercised as the definition of youth varies from ountry to country);
- An official of the Ministry of Youth and Sports, Malaysia or a related government agency;
- Representatives of the private sector, the academic community, and civil society engaged in youth issues;
- Have a good understanding of the theme and the relevant policies in their respective countries;
- Proficient in English and able to do presentations in English, is a must;
- Possess good communication and inter-personal skills, and the ability to solve problems through adaptability and flexibility;
- Motivated to improve the lives of others through their actions and work;
- Capable and willing to share experiences and resources with others in the community and contribute to the International Workshop on Climate Change “Youth Action on Climate Change” follow-up process;
- Willing and able to participate actively for the whole duration of the project;
- Geographical and gender balance will be respected.
Early Bird Registration (on / before 15thFebruary 2015)
Local Participants -RM 300.00
International Students Staying in Malaysia - RM 300.00
Local Group Application- 4 or more - RM 250.00each
International Participants -USD 120.00 each
International Group Application - 4 or more - USD 100.00each
Late Registration (after 15th February2015)
Local Participants -RM 350.00
International Students Staying in Malaysia - RM 350.00
Local Group Application- 4 or more - RM 300.00each
International Participants -USD 150.00 each
International Group Application - 4 or more - USD 120.00each
Discounted Fees of USD100.00 for Participants from Selected Countries:
Afghanistan, Albania, Azerbaijan,Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, Costa Rica, Egypt, Ghana, India, Iran, Iraq,Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Laos, Maldives, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Myanmar,Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Sri Lanka, South Africa, Russia,Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine,Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Zimbabwe
Air Travel Subsidy:
The Foundation regrets to inform you that there are no funds available for air travel subsidy. Hence participants are required to fund their own air-travel. The Foundation will provide accommodation, meals and local hospitality for the duration of the Workshop.
All participants must pre-register