The International Potato Center (CIP) seeks a highly talented Communication and Knowledge Management Officer to help improve the efficiency and effectiveness of a major regional sweet potato research project through communication and knowledge management.
The Center: CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweet potato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor.
The position: The CKM officer will be based in Nairobi, Kenya. The officer will report to the Project Manager of the Sweetpotato Action for Security and Health in Africa (SASHA) Project. The principal tasks and responsibilities will include, but not limited to the following:
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Manage and popularize the Sweetpotato Knowledge Portal and selected social media
- Manage monthly distribution of updated information on the Knowledge Portal to users
- Strengthen and coordinate information and knowledge for the sweet potato community of practice
- Assist in the development and implementation of CKM strategies and activities to support CIP’s sweet potato teams and their partners in SSA.
- Assist in the organization of major meetings and events related to SASHA and the preparation of minutes
- Coordinate the preparation of summaries, press releases, fact sheets, media kits etc. of key SASHA events
- Facilitate the documentation of SASHA’s experiences, achievements and lessons learned and the sharing of findings with relevant target groups, assisting in the editing of documents and the coordination of any graphics/formatting work.
- Develop videos of new technologies & audio-based slide shows
- Collaborate with data management team in appropriate documentation and archiving of communication and knowledge outputs.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication, marketing or a science-related area.
- Three years of professional experience in developing and implementing CKM strategies or exemplary communications results in fewer years.
- Demonstrated experience working with websites and other communication forums.
- Strong and effective use of social media skills.
- Skills in database management.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good skills in photography, with video skills desirable.
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams.
- Proactive approach, with the ability to find creative ways to solve problems.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills in English, working knowledge of Portuguese and Kiswahili desirable.
- A Kenyan citizen
The employment contract will be for a two-year term (with a three months’ probation period) with the possibility of renewal, subject to availability of funding.